Friday, April 13, 2007

My Grandmother's Legacy

My Grandmother, who we grew up affectionately calling "Mammaw" was my lifeline. She was the thread that held our family together. When she died, everyone drifted away. No one talks to each other anymore. They all have their own lives busy with babies, careers and vacations.
I've wondered what my Mammaws legacy will be and I have decided that it is this pie. I am the only one she gave her recipe to before she passed on. I am the only living being who knows the secret ingredients. This pie was the feature guest at our Thanksgiving dinners every year for as long as I can remember. It's a creamcheese blueberry pie lovingly dolloped on top of a buttery graham cracker crust. Are you drooling yet? It is sweet, yet tangy and fills the air with the aroma of almond extract. My favorite smell in the whole wide world.
Not only is this pie delicious, it brings families together. No matter how angry you are at your little cousin for sitting on your hand and breaking your finger, or how much you want to run away from your cousin Jeremy because he took the cushion inside a couch and stuck it into his nose so far it got infected and his breath makes you want to pass out, this pie will bring your closer.
The oooo's and ahhh's will be to overwhelming to stay mad or want to run away. For the 30 seconds it takes to woof down your slice, your in heaven, all is right with the world and you love everyone in it.
I tell ya, if all the world leaders got together over a piece of my Mammaws pie, peace and love would be the only thing they think about.

And that, is my Mammaws Legacy.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

ok, now I'm hungry, the picture is so good, it looks like I could just touch the screen and eat it!!YUMYUM!!

Christie said...

that pie looks completely delicious and i love the story behind it.

i also love the little alfalfa show in the post below. :)

Ellen said...

That pie looks AMAZING. I nominate myself as the second living person who knows the recipe ;)

Kidding.

I love your writing in this post, hilarious and heartfelt all at once. My grandma's jello makes me feel the same way, except that the whole world knows the recipe since it's on every box! :D

aboutimage said...

what a delicious pic :)